With a new season upon us we thought it was the perfect time to sit down with our very own General Manager & Head Buyer, Mirella Salgo to discuss her style influences, top shoe picks and showcase our fresh spring/summer range.
1. It’s every girl’s dream to work with shoes – what is your first shoe memory?
I think my very first shoe memory was a pair or purple and grey high tops I had when I was about 4. Tying the laces was a big deal and I thought I was very cool. About the same time, I got my first pair of sequin covered ballet flats and I think that started my obsession with all things sparkly and shiny.
2. What do you love the most about being a footwear buyer? And what do you find the most challenging (just to make us a little less jealous)?
There are many things to love about being a footwear buyer. I really enjoy the complete experience. It begins with seeing a sample of the product about 6 months before it arrives online. We then spend the 6 months till the product arrives planning a complete range and offer for our customers. It makes me so happy to think of those shoes arriving on someone’s doorstep – I wish I could be there with all our customers as they try on their purchases.
The challenge is when you love a shoe and have made such an investment in it, but it doesn’t sell. It makes me sad to think of those shoes with no homes to go to. Then there’s always the challenge of where to store all the shoes I’m buying for myself!
3. Could you give a brief rundown of what’s involved when choosing products for the new season?
The selection process begins at least 6 months before the product arrives online. We look at international trends and reflect on what worked for our customers during the previous season. Trend research and sourcing can involve travelling to Europe, the States and Asia. Styletread works with many suppliers so we visit each of the designers and work with them to select the best product from their offer.
4. What are the key footwear trends we will be seeing this spring/summer?
There are so many great trends this season.
- Wrap it up is a very unique look. It has casual and dress variations with super strappy flats and heels in black, neutrals and colour pops of red and blue
- 70’s revolution has a vintage wooden look. It’s great for those of us a little vertically challenged!
- All in the details is a very Styletread trend – it allows us to feature all those shoes that are a little special that we know our customers love and appreciate.
5. What are your three top shoe picks for spring/summer and why?
I sourced VIVIANA by Maria Rossi from a new Italian factory and immediately fell in love. Metallics are the best neutrals and these will be perfect with all my summer dresses.
I’m loving MERRY by Top End (online soon) in cobalt for some colour or in black for a more demure look. The combination of the high straight heel and woven straps works so well.
FIRESTORM by Mollini (online soon) is so much fun! I always appreciate shoes with a ton of personality – it makes dressing so easy. And these shoes are definitely something special.
6. What is the shoe of the moment in your eyes?
JAYMAN by Mollini is an amazing shoe and we offer it in quite a few colours. Rose gold (online soon) is the most recent addition and possibly the most exciting. I can’t wait to get a pair!!
7. A few quick questions to finish off…
• How many pairs of shoes do you own?
I stopped counting at 100 and that was 8 years ago! So, many….
• What’s one shoe you can’t live without?
A pair of espadrilles! They are the perfect trans-seasonal shoe. Great for running around on the weekend and such an easy way to add interest to an outfit – with some bright colours, prints or interesting textures.
• What’s the best piece of fashion advice you have been given?
The best piece of advice has been to focus on personal style. I always shop and dress with that in mind.
Straight from the catwalk to you, check out the hottest trends happening at Styletread!
This trend features shoes in neutral tones which capture an earthy appeal to offset summertime looks.
This trend is all about classic styles such as ankle strap sandals, wedges and heels that keep your wardrobe current and versatile.
This embellished trend is all about adding something extra to everyday footwear styles with decorative trims and sparkly details.
Chic lace-up details update popular footwear styles and turn them into trans-seasonal pieces that take you from one season to the next.
This gorgeous trend showcases heels of all heights and colours that will enhance the glamour of race day perfectly.
This trend takes easy-to-wear flats to a whole new fashion level, turning the simple into high-impact pieces you can wear day or night.
This trend features Birkenstocks, roman sandals and espadrilles that are prefect for that summer seaside getaway.
This trend embraces foot loving styles while showing us we don’t need to sacrifice fashion for comfort.