Alex is a full-time primary school teacher in Brisbane who loves her job and everything about fashion. She started the blog whattheteacherwears to share stylish ideas and tips on how to create a variety of fashionable work and everyday outfits. Without further ado, here’s a little Q&A with the gorgeous Alex where she tells us her best style advice and her top shoe picks from Styletread!
1. Being a primary school teacher, what encouraged you to become a fashion blogger?
I started the blog originally to inspire teachers with outfits appropriate for school because dressing as a teacher can be a challenge at times. You need to look professional, but also be practical and stylish (no beige pants here). My outfits are usually with the smart causal criteria which I find is one of the hardest dress codes to adhere to. The great thing about my blog is that it is now not just for teachers, anyone can follow.
2. Who do you look to for style inspiration? And what has been the best piece of fashion advice someone has given you?
For style inspiration, I turn to Tash Sefton from They All Hate Us. I just love the way that girl can rock a blazer and jeans like nobody’s business. The best fashion advice I have been given and added to over time – If you can see up it, down it or through it, don’t do it.
3. As a school teacher, you are always on your feet, what are your favourite brands at Styletread that are both stylish and comfortable?
Comfort and style don’t normally go hand in hand, but Styletread has some amazing brands that tick both boxes. Misano, Django & Juliette and Mollini are great for any teacher or anyone who is on their feet all day. Not only do I find these brands comfy, they are super stylish.
4. What’s your top tip for ensuring you remain comfortable while still maintaining that stylish edge?
The easiest way to keep comfortable and stylish at the same time is to accessorise. Just by adding a statement necklace, scarf or funky shoe to your outfit, you can give it a very stylish edge instantly. A trick I do in the change room, is to act out the activities that I will do in the outfit. So if it’s a top that I may wear to work, I’ll bend over and pretend to tie a shoe lace or write on the board. If I can do that and it’s comfy then it’s a keeper. Then I’ll add a necklace.
5. Summer is almost here – what are your top three summer shoe picks from Styletread? And how would you style them?
1. Dama 122 Blanco/Negro by Sofia Cruz. My top pick for the summer is the espadrille. An espadrille will take you from the playground to the pool with ease. Team with a basic tee and boyfriend jean or a maxi dress and fedora.
2. Porter Heel Studded Black Heel by Sol Sana. Team these heels with jeans and a camisole or go a relaxed boho vibe with an off the shoulder top and flowing maxi skirt.
3. Jayman Rose Gold Metallic by Mollini. The perfect shoe for the upcoming silly season. Wear these rose gold beauties with a white lace dress and team with simple rose gold accessories.
6. Complete the following statements:
· What’s one shoe you can’t live without?
My Mollini Jayman Heels. They are the comfy heels that I have ever owned. The thick heel gives great support and they come in so many colours.
· How many pairs of shoes do you own?
Between 60 – 70. I do buy some shoes for different uses. I do have some just for teaching and others just for styling. Though most of my pairs I can wear anywhere.
· What’s the biggest shoe trend in your eyes this season?
Anything with laces (and no I don’t mean sneakers). Laces are everywhere from heels to flats and sandals. You need something with laces on your feet this season.
Alex wears Blip by Mollini
Alex wears Zippo Rose Gold by Top End
Alex wears Emy 31 by Sofia Cruz
To stay up-to-date on all the latest by Alex @ whattheteacherwears make sure you follow her on Instagram!